Monday, November 26, 2007

Day 1





Josh dropped me off at the Del Mar Fairgrounds at 4:45 am on November 9. I was one of the first people to get there. I left my duffel at the gear truck and headed for the "holding" area. Slowly, the rest of my team arrived, as well as 4,700 other walkers. Everyone was anxious to get started, but the walk didn't begin until 7:15. We had a long time to wait. We talked, and laughed and tried to not think about the fact there were no potty facilities available. I finally was able to meet Nik's sister, Danielle and her husband, Terry.

At 6:30 we started stretching, and soon after the opening ceremonies began. So emotional! There were lots of tears as the names of lost loved ones, as well as survivors, were named aloud. The excitement was palpable as the moment drew near to start. And finally! we were moving, out of the fairgrounds and onto the street. The first thing we saw were the "sweep" vans, ready to go into action. Their job was to pick up people who needed help, and took them to the next pit stop.

And the people lining the streets! It was amazing! Drivers honking their horns, waving at us. Everyone was so pumped. The day itself was perfect for walking. Overcast, mid-60's, slight breeze......you could not have requested a better day for a 21 mile stroll.

Day 1 took us through Del Mar to Torrey Pines State Reverve (and our first "hill), through La Jolla, to Bird Rock, Pacific Beach, and finally to Mission Bay Park (Crown Point) and camp! The scenery was out of this world. San Diego is so gorgeous, and walking by the ocean was certainly a treat.

To my delight, we had a Tent Angel, Mike Taylor, who set up all tents for The Breast Defense League! Yea, Mike! All I had to do was inflate my air mattress and take a nap, which is what I did just as soon as I took a shower in the truck. Now, that was different. After a much needed doze, and a rubdown with Aspercreme, and a handful of Motrin, I headed to the 3 Day Village. There I met up with Danielle and Terry, as well as their good friends, Christine and Marvin. Danielle got me a cup of steaming hot coffee and I have to say it was one of the best cups of coffee ever! We hung out while we waited for Danielle's friend to bring us In-N-Out burgers, read my mail (and I got a bunch! Thank you everyone!) and people watched. After chowing down on the best burgers in the world, I headed for bed, which was about 8:30 pm. Of course that was the exact time the truck came to empty the port-a-potties that were directly across from my tent. It didn't matter, I was out in a matter of minutes.

I had survived the first day, with only one blister on my heel. You can't beat that!

1 comment:

Lothian said...

I love the pink tents! Too cute. I am glad you were able to post some of your trip. We are just so proud of you and want to share in the goodness! You are truly amazing Donna.