Monday, July 2, 2007

"You Are Strong, My Mother"

After work today I did my Monday training walk at Sharon Woods (3.8 miles). A truly gorgeous day, blue sky, light breeze, not too hot. About 1 1/2 miles down the trail, going counter-clockwise, there is a very steep incline (I was told by one of the rangers once it was a 12 degree incline). Anyway, if you want a cardio workout, that's the hill to do. I was about a quarter of a mile away from the hill, and this very tall (6'3 at least) young man passed me. He looked to be African, maybe Nigerian, very dark, very fit. He ran up the hill, then back down; ran up the hill again and back down; and as I was starting up the hill he ran effortlessly by me and disappeared into the distance. Let me tell you, my heart was pounding like a drum after only one trip up that incline and I wasn't even running.

Later, towards the end of my walk, the same young man passed me, still running in that seemingly effortless way, for the second time (yes, he ran the entire circuit 2 times). He had gone just a few steps beyond me when he stopped, turned to me and said, "you are strong, my mother" in a very African accent and then resumed his run.

It was a very odd, but inspiring moment. I got goosebumps when he said that. I am strong.

2 comments:

Lothian said...

Wow! Beautiful story. You were blessed that day.

Nikki said...

You are strong. And loved. And inspiring. And wonderful. And on and on and on...

xoxo
Nik