Monday, May 28, 2007

“I still have my feet on the ground, I just wear better shoes.” ....Oprah Winfrey


....so, there I was, half way around Sharon Woods Friday evening, and my feet went all crazy on me. Have you ever had a toe spasm? Believe me, not fun. I knew I was eventually going to have to get really good shoes to train, and then, later, to do the walk, in (two pairs are recommended), but I wanted to get some use out of the shoes I had. They were brand new, as of the beginning of April. The first couple of weeks they were fine. But then one Sunday, once again in Sharon Woods, I developed a blister the size of Rhode Island. It took two weeks for it to heal. And since then my feet have ached every time I wore those shoes for an extended period of time, like anything over 10 minutes. Anyway, I guess my feet finally had had enough and went on strike. The rest of the evening they would go into spasms, looking like hideous curled talons. ---hmmmmm, note to self: clip toenails tonight....

I got up early Saturday and headed out to Dublin to the Columbus Running Company. There I met Matt who evaluated my feet (yes, my arches are high enough for a VW Bug to drive under, and they roll to the side so much they could cause a small tsunami) and stride, to determine what shoe would be good for me. Matt's good....the first pair I tried on felt like heaven. My little tootsies audibly sighed in relief. Just to make sure, I tried on a second pair and they just weren't the same.

Yes, these shoes are a little flashy, all chartreuse and silvery, but they feel divine. And, again yes, they are 'way more expensive than I usually spend on athletic shoes, but if I'm going to make this thing work, and finish the 60 miles on foot and not carried in on a stretcher, I have to invest in good shoes. That's it! I'm investing in my feet.

So, the lesson for the weekend is to always wear good shoes to protect your feet. And not to eat White Castles on a training day. 'Nough said.

No comments: