Thursday, May 17, 2007

"You're Walking 60 Miles?? You Must Be Kidding!"

So……who is Sue Brillhart and why am I walking 60 miles for her? I’ve been asked this question several times in the past few days since I started my blog. The answer is:

Sue was the much loved mother of one of my dearest friends, Nikki. She was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago, and a lumpectomy was performed to remove the growth. After treatment, her prognosis was pretty good, and Sue went back to living life to the fullest. She even went through a double knee replacement, and felt wonderful afterwards.

Then early in 2006 she found another lump. This time the doctor opted for a mastectomy, followed by chemo. Unfortunately, this cancer proved to be an aggressive and relentless foe, moving into her lymph nodes, and then later into her bones. Finally, there came a point when nothing more could be done. In January 2007, Sue slipped away from this world surrounded by the people she loved most: her daughters, Nikki and Danielle, sons-in-laws, family and friends. Nik’s loss has been profound, as I’m sure it was for Danielle and all of the other people who knew and loved her.

I was never blessed with meeting Sue, but I’ve heard much of her; her warmth, her sense of humor, her sense of community, and above all, her love of family and home. The world will not be the same place without her. That’s why I’m doing the 3 Day Walk for the Cure. If collecting a little money and walking 60 miles will keep one family from experiencing the pain and loss that Nikki and Danielle have, then it’s all worth it.

2 comments:

Lothian said...

Beautiful. I am sure she will be there with you in spirit, and pushing you along!

Nikki said...

From the very bottom of my heart, thank you. This is so kind and sweet - it means so much to me. I know Mom would have been touched as well. I just can't express how moved I am by this - thank you doesn't seem like enough. It brought my Mom great comfort to know I had friends who were so supportive. I am so grateful to have you in my life.

xoxo
Nik